Friday, May 28, 2010

Soy Bean Cream Frosting

My dad, had a liver tumor and his gall bladder removed this March, hence he has to be on low fat diet.

He celebrated his 75th birthday last weekend. His favourite cake, as well as the family’s, is the sugee cake, which is extremely rich, and I have to resist myself from baking this for the occasion.

Just a few days before the weekend, I had a slice of boston cream pie at a neighbour’s. The cake was a very light sponge cake. The cake, without the cream, has very little fat, and hence something we can eat frequently without feeling guilty. She has kindly shared the recipe with me when I told her I would like to bake it for my father’s coming birthday.

To compliment the cake with a frosting which is low in fat, I searched around and found an extremely suitable frosting. It’s made with bean curd, and does not contain any oil, cream or butter at all, something those with special diet or those who wants a low fat cake can enjoy.

Dad's Birthday Cake frosted with Soy Bean Cream ♥Recipe for Soy Bean Cream♥
Adapted from Okashi, Sweet Treats Made With Love, by Keiko Ishida
Make enough to frost a 20cm round cake

You’ll need :

150g Sugar free apple juice
½ tsp agar-agar powder
400g firm bean curd, drained and pat dry with paper towels
80g agave syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
1 lemon grated for zest
Mehod

1) Combine apple juice and agar-agar powder in a small saucepan and heat until agar-agar powder until has melted completely while stirring continuously. Remove from heat and set aside
2) Place bean curd, agave syrup, vanilla and lemon zest into a food processor and blend well.
3) Add agar agar powder mixture and blend thoroughly
I had some grated baking chocolate sprinkled on top of the frosted cake, which enhances the taste and look.

I love cream and butter, and all things fatty. I was skeptical about the outcome of the cake. However, this turned out quite tasty for something which is so low in fat. The creamy frosting tasted more like something made with cream cheese than bean curd (the feedback I got from my nephews and nieces). Although it’s not as tasty as butter cream or other full fat frosting, this is something you can enjoy without feeling guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment