Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dr. Kazu Tateishi's Vegetable Soup (Burdock Root/Gobou Soup / 牛蒡汤 / 五行蔬菜汤)

My father has been diagnosed to have a 16cm tumor in his liver during Chinese New Year, I'd been trying to find food, drinks, recipe that have high anti oxident which can help him.

One of the soup that is highly recommended by a lot of people is the Burdock Root Soup (牛蒡汤), which supposedly is very good for fighting cancer, as well as to prevent cancer.

The first time I made this, I got the instruction from the organic shop in verbal form. I missed out 1 ingredient and didn't know the exact quantity of the rest of ingredient, I ended up using an estimation. I finally found this recipe from a book by Dr. Kazu Tateishi (立石和), the creator of this soup.

Excerpt :
"Dr. Tateishi Kazu's father and brother both died of cancer, and then he found himself suffering from cancer of the duodenum and spreading. His stomach was removed, but the cancer cells had spread to his lungs. He resolved to fight for his life.

Over twenty years he researched, studied and tested over 1,500 types of herbs and plants. On the basis of general health upkeep, strengthening of the immune system and slowing down of the aging process, he eventually discovered the right combination of ingredients from five kinds of vegetables and formulated a unique healing remedy. It was also experimented on animals where no side effects had been found. The whole of Japan was then shocked and amazed at its proven and incredible results that were not heard of in the medical field."

The soup tasted a bit 'ginsengy', my oldest didn't like it but she drank it because I said it was good for her, my youngest drank 3 bowls and kept saying it's delicious. Dr. Kazu Tateishi's Vegetble Soup I'll be making this often to keep everybody in the house healthy, and asking my sister, whom my father lives with, to boil this frequently for my dad for his overall well being.

You can get the Chinese ones easily from the wet market, but you may need to do a bit of searching in the supermarket for the Japanese ones (which is preferred for making this soup).

♥Recipe for Dr. Kazu Tateishi's Vegetable Soup / 五行蔬菜汤♥

You'll need (all organically grown if possible) :

1/4 Daikon Radish (萝卜)
1/4 bunch of Daikon Radish leaf (萝卜叶)
1/2 Carrot (红萝卜)
1/4 Burdock Root / Gobou (牛蒡, pronounced as Ngao Pong in Cantonese and Niu2 Bang4 in Mandarin) - Used Japanese and not Chinese burdock root
1 good quality sundried shitake mushroom (if not sundried, expose the mushroom in the sun for a couple of hours)

Method :

1) Wash everything clean

2) Cut the carrot, daikon radish, daikon radish leaves and burdock into big pieces. Do not skin anything.

3) Put all vegetable in a pot (preferably glass or aluminium pot, do not use Teffal or enamel coated pot) Add water 3 times the quantity of the vegetable.

4) Bring to boil. Then lower the heat and boil at low heat for 1hr.

5) Store soup in glass pot or container, and serve it using bowls made of similar material.

(I sliced off the skin of the vegetable in my 1st attempt when the photos were taken, not knowing I should retain them; I'd also left out the daikon radish leaf)

No comments:

Post a Comment