Friday, August 6, 2010

Blueberry Crumble Cake

My sister in law went to Shanghai recently to visit the Shanghai Expo, it was a trip organised by MCA. Besides visiting the Shanghai Expo, some sightseeing and shopping are also squeezed in .

I didn't know she was going, or I would have some asked her to pick up some books and DVDs for me. Chinse books are so cheap, most of them RM10~RM20 including cook books (with lots of photos). I'm lucky I came from a generation where tradional Chinese was taught in school and later picked up simplified Chinese, because that's what it's used nowadays in Malaysia, so I could read both, which expand the type of the books or websites I could read.

Now, back to my SIL and her Shanghai trip. She bought some organic fresh blueberries on her trip and gave us 2 punnets. I didn't like them fresh, they were a bit on the sourish side, so I decided to bake a cake using whatever that was left (after hubs have chomped down almost a punnet having them with his cereals).

I thought I'll give Annie Belle a second chance when I saw her Cherry Crumble Cake recipe. I once used her recipe to make scones, and they didn't turn out quite the way I like it, what kind of recipe would tell you to 'add milk (quantity not specified) until you find the dough is the right texture'? Luckily I'd made scones before and knew what kind of texture is 'right', but maybe I didn't know the 'right' texture as well since the scones didn't turn out nice.

When I was making the crumble, following her ingredients, the crumble came out a bit on the wet side, so I added ~2tbs extra flour. Besides this, the cake turned out exceptionally delicious. The cake bit was soft and buttery, matched with the tartness of the blueberries and the crumbly top, it was delicious.

Blueberry Crumble Cake ♥Blueberry Crumble Cake♥
Adapted from Annie Belle's Gorgeous Cakes
(The fruit used in the original recipe was actually cherries)
Make a 20cm cake

You'll Need
For the cake :
100g unsalted butter, diced
100g caster sugar
1 egg
90ml milk
125g self raising flor, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
200g Fresh Blueberries
For the Crumble :

90g plain flour + 2tbs extra
50g caster sugar
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
90g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
25g organic porridge oats

Method :
1) Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a 20cm cake tin 9cm deep with a removable base.

2) To make the crumble, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a food processor and whizz until the mixture just starts to form large crumbs (or do this by hand). Transfer the mixture from food processor to a bowl and stir in the oats. Refridgerate until ready to use.

3) To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, then incorporate the milk, flour, baking powder and lemon zest.

4) Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.

5) Scatter the blueberries over the surface of the cake (I made them in rows of circle). Top with crumble mixture, and bake for 55~60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

A Slice of Blueberry Crumble Cake 6) The cake can be served warm, about 30minutes out of the oven, or at room temparature.

No comments:

Post a Comment