Friday, October 22, 2010

Hazelnut Twirls (榛果小饼干)

Most of the time, before baking, I'll look at what I have in the pantry, and then will search through my recipe books to find a recipe that uses the ingredients that I have. This is actually a very ineficient way of doing things, flipping through the many books that I have and looking at the ingredient list page by page, but it saves me trips to the supermarket or the baking supply shop.

So here is another day when I found I still had some ground hazelnut, instead of making another batch of Hazelnut Cocoa Balls, I thought I'll try a new recipe.

Hazelnut Twirls Coated With Chocolate

I was happy to find this Hazelnut Twirls recipe using the ingredients I have. Making the biscuit was easy, but it needed muscle to pipe those twirls. I felt as though I'd had a work out after making them.

I have coated some of these biscuits with chocolate and some without.

♥Recipe for Hazelnut Twirls♥
Adapted from 手创饼干112道 by 廖敏云
Make about 30 pieces of biscuits


You'll need

130g unsalted butter
50g icing sugar
1 tsp lemon peel, cut into small strips
1g salt
25g egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
160g cake flour
60g ground hazelnut


Method

1) Preheat oven to 150C. Cream butter and icing sugar

2) Beat in lemon peel, salt, egg and vanilla essence

3) Then stir in cake flour and ground hazelnut, and mix well.

4) Fill a pipping bag with the thick batter, using a star tip, pipe the batter onto a lined baking tray

5) Bake biscuit for 18minutes. Cool them on wire rack and once cooled, keep them in air tight container.

6) If you want to coat the biscuit with chocolate, you can melt some milk chocolate in a bain marrie, and dip one end of the cooled biscuit in the chocolate sauce. Place the chocolate coated biscuit on a wire rack to allow the chocolate to harden. Store in air tight container.

These Hazelnut Twirls are light and tasty, the lemon peel gave the biscuits a slight tanginess which enhanced the flavour.



Hazelnut Twirls I actually prefer those without chocolate coating, as the chocolate actually masked the origial taste of the biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment