Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chinese New Year Baking - Almond Biscotti

Monday was a holiday for me (just me because the hubs and my daughters are working and schooling in Selangor, which was not on holiday). Instead of lazing about (which I really wanted to), I was hard at work and dashing around.

First thing in the morning, I baked 20 cupcakes as I wanted to bring some for my masseur, and also for the hubs to sample as he was flying off to Hong Kong for work in the afternoon. Once the cupcakes were cooled, I went downtown to get my dui na (推拿) massage done, and by noon time rushed off to pick the girls up from school.

After lunch, I taught our helper how to fry arrowroot chips. I even drove my MIL over to help with this. But alas, being the stubborn mule (my helper, not MIL), she did it her way and started banging the pots and pans (her way of showing dissatisfaction) when I corrected her. Instead of slicing with hand directly into the oil, she used our food processor to slice the root, juicing some in the process; instead of draining the fried chips on a wire rack she just drop them into a tray lined with kitchen towel. The chips turned out to be part soggy part over fried, and extremely oily. Grrr!

While the 2 of them did the frying of the arrowroot chips, I made biscotti using a recipe which I'd been using for 10 years. I only made this during Chinese New Year because it's rather taxing on my arms. The slicing of the logs make my arm muscles ache, and I never seemed to be able to slice them to perfectly thin slices. Maybe it's the recipe, maybe it's my slicing skill or maybe I need a better knife. If you know of any easier way of doing this, let me know.

Biscotti ♥Recipe for Almond Biscotti♥
Adapted from a recipe from Bake With Yen
Makes a bottle

You will need :

4 eggwhites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
90g castor sugar
120g medium protein flour (sifted)
120g toasted unblanched whole almonds
few drops of vanilla essence

Method :

1) Beat eggwhite with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until stiff.
2) Lightly fold in flour, almonds and essence.
3) Bake in a lined (loaf) tin for 35mins at 180C.
4) Rest and wait till loaf is slighly cool then turn it out and cool on wire rack.
5) Cut the cool loaf into wafer-thin slices (I can only get half cm thickness the best), and then lay them on wire rack (rested on baking tray) and bake for 20 minutes or until crisp at 150C.
6) Cool the baked biscotti on wire rack.

I made two portions of the above quantity, so I got 2 bottles, 1 for us and 1 for MIL.

With so much eggyolk left from making the biscotti, I baked 2 sugee cakes, and packed them all up to be kept in the fridge till Chinese New Year.

As for the arrowroot chips, My MIL only picked those nicely fried ones, dabbed the oil from the chips with kitchen towel and then bottled them. I gave her a bottle and kept 2. Another 1 bottle or so was wasted since it was soggy and soaked through with oil. Arrowroot chips

No comments:

Post a Comment