Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Version of Pain Veinnois

Richard Bertinet's Dough is the book that I refer to for most of my bread recipe. His book covers different type of dough, The White, The Olive, The Brown, Rye Dough, and lastly Sweet Dough, and adding different nuts, roots, vege, flavours to different dough, it becomes a different bread, giving variety and ideas of mix and match to a bread eating home like ours. After baking bread for a while (which I do almost twice a week if not more) and after following his recipes a couple of times, I now mainly use his flour, water, salt ratio to come out with my own recipes (mixing different flour and flavouring it with different seeds). My daugthers prefer Guardinia or High-5 white bread to the bread I bake, just because it's softer and sweeter and also because they prefer white bread. Since lots of other 'additives' are included in the bread to make it taste like that and last for so long, I try to convince them to eat the bread I bake, and call the other bread 'chemical bread'. So, occasionally, I have to bake a white loaf to fulfil their liking for white bread and also give us some variety. This is the first time I'm trying out Richard Bertinet sweet dough, and I thought I'll try the Pain Viennois, which is supposed to look like this. Richard Bertinet's Pain Veinnois Mine instead turned out like this. Richard Bertinet's Pain VeinnoisA puff up version of the Pain Veinnois. Mind you, I followed the recipe, step by step (oh, except he uses hands, while I used my mixer to knead), but after the dough is rested, it was so elastic that I couldn't do the small deep cuts like what's shown in the recipe (see pic) as the dough just bounced back. The bread however, did turn out very nice. Lots of air bubbles, very soft and chewy, a bit sweetish and milky, just the way the girls like. Pain Veinnois ♥Recipe for Pain Viennois♥ Adapted from Richard Bertinet's Dough Make 5 baguettes You'll need : 250g full fat milk (yes, weigh it) 15g yeast (but I used 1 sachet of instant yeast, ~11g) 500g strong bread flour 60g unsalted butter at room temparature (cut into small cubes/slices) 40g castor sugar 10g salt 2 large eggs Method : (assuming you are using a mixer) 1) Warm the milk genty until it's about body temperature (I put mine in a cup on a hot bath). 2) Mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast and then rub in the butter (dough hook low speed) 3) Add eggs and milk and knead using dough hook at low speed for 5 to 8mins until butter is totally rubbed into the dough, and dough is soft and pialiable 4) Flour the inside of your bowl, and put the ball of dough into it. Cover with tea towel and let it rest of 1hr. 5) Turn the rested dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 5 pieces. 6) Flatten the pieces of dough with your hands into rough rectangles. Fold and roll the dough into a long log shape. Place the baguettes on a tray with space between each, give them two coats of egg wash, and then make a series of small deep cuts diagonally along the top with a sharp knife. Leave to prove for 1hr 7) Bake baguettes for 10~12minutes in a preheated oven (~200C) for 10~12minutes 8 ) Cool on a wire rack once done

No comments:

Post a Comment