Monday, July 5, 2010

Homemade Pan Mee / Pappardelle

The whole family love Pan Mee, all except the man, so he says (but can he refuse Pappardelle?).

Imagine you spent the whole Sunday evening at the kitchen, kneading the dough (ok, maybe I didn't knead the dough, but my Kitchenaid did), making the chicken condiments, and when it was dinner time, instead of saying "Thank you", in his bad mood, he uttered the unappreciative, "I have told you, I'm not a fan of pan mee."

Fine. I think I get more appreciation from the kids, and so, will be focussing on cooking, making things the kids or I like.

That was our dinner yesterday. Pan Mee with Ikan Bilis (Malay : Anchovies, and my girls call them Little Fish) soup, served with condiments like mince chicken with mushroom and fried ikan bilis. I liked the pan mee, and so did the girls.

Pan Mee with Ikan Bilis Soup We had some left over dough from yesterday, and so for lunch today, my helper and I had pan mee again. This time, I served it with a homemade Pesto; and guess what? From Pan Mee, viola, it has now transformed to pappardelle, a change in nationality!

So actually, this is just flat noodle, in Chinese, it's called Pan Mee, in Italy, they call it pappardelle. Now, I want to hear the man tell me he's not a fan of pappardelle.

Pappardelle with Pesto Sauce As what was left over was not enough for my girls to have for lunch, they had something else instead. I gave some to my eldest to try, and she said it was delicious, although she would prefer hers with lots of Parmessan Cheese.

♥Receipe for Pan Mee / Pappardelle♥
Make 4 servings of pan mee or pappardelle

You'll need

250g plain flour
1 egg
100ml water (there about)
1 tsp salt
1 tbs oil (I used fried garlic oil)

Method

To make dough
1) Mix 100ml water with salt

2) In a bowl, mix flour, egg, and oil, and the salt water, until a soft smooth dough is formed. If it's too wet, add a little flour, if it's too dry, add a little more water. Dough should be firm, but not sticky nor runny.

3) Leave the kneaded dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth, so that the surface of the dough will not be dry. Stand dough for 1hr.

To cook
1) Boil a pot of water, and add a tsp of salt.

2) Separate the dough to 4 serving portion, and roll them to a ball.

3) Dust dough ball with generous amount of flour, and flatten it a bit. Use a rolling pin or a pasta maker to roll the dough into the desired thickness, dusting more flour if it's sticking to the side of the rolling pin or pasta maker.

4) When desired thickness is rolled out, cut or tear the dough sheet into long strips or squares depending on preference, and drop them into boiling water.

5) Boil the pan mee or pappardelle for about 1 to 2 minutes until cook (cooked dough will rise to the top).

6) Scoop the cooked pan mee or pappardelle out, and drain. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment