Friday, January 28, 2011

Brain Connections


If you are my Facebook friend, you have read about Zaria being our new English police.
In a carpool journey home from Zaria’s school, I overheard this conversation between Aidan, who’s my neighbour’s son, and Zaria.
Aidan : No lar. (forgot what prompted him to say that)
Zaria : There's no la in English.
Aidan : What are you saying lar?
Zaria : Hello Aidan, speak Harry Potter English please. There's no lar wor meh in English.
o.O”

~~~~~~~~~~~~ . ~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different occasion, Zaria was being naughty, and I was scolding her; the more I scolded her the more funny stunts she carried out, and the more I scolded her. Zara gave me the solution. ”Mum, just stop scolding her.”
I replied, “But she’s naughty.”
Zara told me, “But if you keep scolding her, she’ll be naughtier, and you’ll get more stressed. If you stop scolding, she will also stop being naughty.”
There, my new parenting guru.
o.O”


I recently read somewhere that all humans are born with 100 billions brain cell. And for learning to happen, brain cells need to connect. In other words, if I want your children to be smarter, they have to have more brain cells connections. Next time if you want to scold someone chi-sin (痴线), think twice, it might actually be a compliment. :P

Children’s brains are like a sponge, they are hungry for information and knowledge, given the right exposure or stimulus, more brain cells will be connected, and they will be connected tots.

I’m happy to know that breast feeding has a part to play in assisting with this as well. Breast milk is found to have gangliosides, which help brain cells to connect for smarter learning. The girls being both breastfed for 18months, would have been taken lots of gangliosides.

I won’t say my two girls are smart, but I think they are very good in applying what they have learnt (consciously or unconsciously).This in fact indicates, their brain cells are connected, see how they can teach others what they have learnt from their daily lives?

5 comments:

  1. ok so my kids were breastfed for 3 months and 1 month respectively......hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sponge until 5 yrs old. i thought i can be kiasu n stuff everything to P. guess what...either my expectation too high or he cant absorbed them. So i just biar-kan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite agree with your point that breastfeeding will produce smarter kid but undeniably breastfeeding will help to increase immunity and healthier body. To produce smarter kids, that inherits from the genetics of their parents, also daily stimulation from their daily activities. My two cents.
    Both Zara and Zaria are smart because they have smart parents like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chi sin=compliment , oh...how true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] this post, I mentioned about how brain cells need to connect for learning to [...]

    ReplyDelete